Saturday, September 22, 2007

Day 8

Ahh, and so begins our second longest drive of the trip - Dallas to Albuquerque, where the roads are straight and no one cares about the speed limit. It was also a very successful sign-taking day, well, as compared to previous days anyway. I was expecting New Mexico to be really hot, but it was surprisingly cool although extremely windy! I don't know how people live in the windy-ness, I couldn't stand all my hair and clothes being blown all over the place in just the few minutes that I was outside at the gas station. Early afternoon, after having passed many Denny's and IHOPs, I started craving eggs. Up until now, we haven't stopped for a meal on the road, just ate a whole lot of granola bars (and once we took some Wendy's to go). I felt bad about making us stop for my silly desire for eggs, but I REALLY wanted breakfast food, so I brought it up. And Elena said, 'Ohmygosh, I've been wanting to stop every time we passed an IHOP! But I didn't want to make you suffer through MY craving!' It was pretty funny, so we found the nearest Waffle House and had a delicious huge breakfast. We made really good time (because of the 75 speed limit that no one follows), and got to our motel before sunset. And right next door to the motel was .... Denny's! So we went to get some dinner to go, and the manager took our order. He highly praised their garlic bread, which came with the salad I ordered. I guess they were shorthanded, cuz after he took our order, he went to the kitchen to make our food. After we got our food, walked out of the store, and were almost at the door of our motel room, we hear someone calling us from behind. It was the store manager! He had forgotten to give me the garlic bread, and chased after us! Wow, now THAT is customer service! I said he didn't have to do that, but he insisted that the bread was worth it. (It wasn't really, but I still ate most of it cuz of all the trouble he went through, haha). We ate our meals in bed and watched Prison Break. It was nice :)

No comments: